View Single Post
      09-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #950
BlacMacJac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW '20 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
It's not so much the software design but the method of operation; which connects through WI-Fi instead of a hardwire.

I'm positive the WiFi/Bluetooth integration is responsible for the connection issues mentioned simply because I've used wired CarPlay in a Cadillac CTS, Toyota Prius and my friend's Alfa Romeo, all wired and works flawlessly.

The fact that Apple is constantly revising its phone software and related APPs, yet BMW integration i-level remains stagnant, I'm sure doesn't exactly help in getting the devices to sync properly.

So it's not so much CarPlay, pre se, but it's method of connection sometimes has a mind of its own and choose to pain/unpair, on its own terms.
Interesting perspective. My '20 has been utterly flawless, and if I have a complaint it's with a specific app and not the platform. Tidal, for example, seems to not like to load music if another audio based app is currently playing. But not in reverse.

As someone who's been in the app development business I find the wireless CP to be a really fascinating solution to what generally is the 1st-world hassle of having to plug in the iPhone. It also explains why there is yet to be a Android Auto and, frankly, I have no idea how they'll accomplish it without a TON of consistency issues.

Now, what I do find clunky is the confusing UI between the iDrive software and CarPlay. Having two disparate platforms working inside the same system is a janky UX to say the least. If I want to use CP, it would be great if you could "mute" all the other stuff, or vice versa, and simplify the experience. Another issue is my own shortcoming - I don't like fingerprint smudged screens, so I rarely use touch screen, but also get frustrated using a wheel to get thru menu structures.

I have debated purchasing the file that allows you to go single screen for CarPlay, but I also want to see in the coming weeks how iOS13 appears and operates before I do that.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50