Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Count your blessing, Wireless CarPlay in BMWs sucks.

It constantly drops the APPs or has problems connecting, upon start-up and this is on various BMWs including one with the newest iDrive 7 software (07/2019).

I own all Apple products, so I'm not bias toward them but facts is facts; BMW needs to put that technology back in give oven because it's not done yet.

I would pay $80 a year to have it removed - good riddance CarPlay. ✌🏻
It's been flawless for me. By far better than any USB CarPlay I have used in several other brands. I have maybe one issue connecting in 1.5 years of ownership. I wonder what they would have done differently in the latest iDrive to make it less reliable.
I wish I had the same experience as you did, as I'm an Apple fanatic and would of love to rave about it but I have to be honest with myself.

I like to consider myself pretty tech-savvy but in my experience, BMW's version of CP is buggy and is not as seamless as all of Apple's ecosystem I'm accustom to; which is 'Set & Forget.' However, BMW's CP always requires some sort of manual intervention to get it up and running again or get the devices to "handshake."

It's not so much the software design but the method of operation; which connects through WI-Fi instead of a hardwire.

I'm positive the WiFi/Bluetooth integration is responsible for the connection issues mentioned simply because I've used wired CarPlay in a Cadillac CTS, Toyota Prius and my friend's Alfa Romeo, all wired and works flawlessly.

The fact that Apple is constantly revising its phone software and related APPs, yet BMW integration i-level remains stagnant, I'm sure doesn't exactly help in getting the devices to sync properly.

So it's not so much CarPlay, per se, but it's method of connection sometimes has a mind of its own and choose to pain/unpair, on its own terms.
Appreciate 0