View Single Post
      07-27-2021, 04:39 AM   #1
deosaa9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Looking to purchase E90 M3 6MT

Requesting time sensitive help: is M2/M2C OK as a first car for a 6MT noob?

Hey all,

Been wanting to buy a driver's car forever. I finally am in a place in life where I can do it comfortably after starting a family. This will be the 'fun' car as we have a couple other SUV DD. I am working remotely so will use this as my DD to run errands as well. Going to the M2 is entirely about driving feel and fun.

As context, I have previously owned a Tesla Model 3 performance which runs a 3.2s 0-60 and pushes ~480 hp and infinity torque (JK IDK the actual number). I am not new to performance cars, but I am new to 6MT.

3 problems / questions:

1. I don't know how to drive manual anymore. I learned about 10 years ago but have since forgot. Is it a terrible idea to learn directly on the M2 knowing that I will prob burn the clutch a bit initially as I learn?

2. I read here from a few folks that it's straight up dangerous to go into a M2 or M2C esp a manual as a beginner. One person straight up advised to get a Miata as something fun and underpowered to learn on...then buy the M2/performance car when I am comfortable driving stick. The point was that the M2/M2C have a lot of power and learning MT on it can be dangerous given how tail happy the car is and unforgiving it might be to noob manual drivers. IE putting car into 1st gear and accidentally letting out clutch while parked. Having a family now..I am focused on safety and would be willing to get a Miata to build my skill and trade in a few months for a M2. Question is...is this overkill?

3. I have 'good' deals lined up on a 2018 M2 LCI with 25k miles and a 2019 M2C with 5k miles. The M2C costs $10k more and has M performance mirrors and spoiler. I don't want to start a debate between the two cars...just wondering if there is anything to consider to choose one over the other for someone that lives in a big city and interested in learning to track? I heard the M2C is a little more civilized as a DD within the city but no idea why..

--

I would appreciate any advice as I need to make a decision today!
Appreciate 0