04-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #17
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
A bit hyperbolic, but regardless, remarkable that a 520 hp car with 750 lb of downforce vs 640 hp and 1800 lb of downforce is a bit faster.
They are both kickass cars, but on paper, the 3RS shouldn’t even be close, let alone faster.
I do know the ACR story and what happened and yes it’s also a bad ass car (also have a good friend who owns one). I’m not aware of how they were transported, but they are a special tire made just for the ACR and are about the widest tires I’ve ever seen (plenty wider than anything the GT Porsche’s are wearing).
I will say, part of making a phenomenal track car is making a complete, cohesive and put together package (transmission, suspension and tires all in complete synch). That is where I would place my money - and that is in Porsche where I think they make the best package in the industry and there times prove it. Add in the fact that they do it with FAR less hp is just a testament to their engineering.

Overall, a car making just over 500 hp and running sub 7 mins at the Ring is something I don’t think anyone else but Porsche could pull off.
I don't disagree that Porsche makes a hell of a GT car and they are the best in the business in this category. No doubt about that...but we're comparing a Porsche to a Dodge that's half the price, 3 years older with a comical budget. In reality, you'll never see that 4 second difference in any track with similar drivers. They'll still run head to head on any given day.

Downforce goes both ways. You lose a lot on the straights and when you do gain in the corners, it literally eats the front tires hence them Kumhos never stood a chance on the ring. Ask your friend if he knows why the spare tires were faulty when they were air freight to Germany. Not a lot of people know that part of the story.
Appreciate 0