Drives: E90 M3 Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Mine arrives in three days or so...

MR
Congrats! You lucky SOB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Bummer that according to this review, auto-blip can't be disabled without turning off all the nannies -- and can auto-blip be kept on in that situation if desired, or is it forced off? The M3/4 linking this setting to the throttle map I can SORT OF see (but not really), but linking auto-blip to stability control is bizarre to me. Are they worried about a downshift that was poorly rev-matched manually upsetting the car to the point that stability control wouldn't be able to correct? I like the auto-blip feature on the track, but I still enjoy doing it myself on the road.

I'll also be curious to hear the exhaust in person. The 981 Cayman with Sport Exhaust took the burbles on overrun sort of comically far, and they actually toned it down on the GT4 to something that I personally consider more sane and natural-sounding. Interesting to see where the M2 falls.
I'm with you 100% on the contrived sounding exhaust on the Cayman PSE. It's a little much. The GT4 dials it back and sounds way more natural. The M2's sound is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Well for twice the money, one would hope the GT4 would be the better car. I can sort of see how they'd be cross-shopped in the sense that both seem to have similar basic design philosophies, but the GT4 is allowed to execute much more fully on that thanks to being allowed to cost a lot more (and not having to focus on road-going manners quite as much), and of course the inherent difference in drivetrain and chassis. I do wish the GT4 had an e-diff like the M2 though, or the 991 GT3 for that matter; instead it's got Porsche's standard LSD used in other 991 and 981 models and even earlier GT3s, which apparently doesn't stand up to track duty very long. At least Guard is around offering viable alternatives if needed.
You are right about the Porsche LSDs being a weak point. I don't think they are necessarily cross shopped because of price, but I see that both are purist driving experiences designed by engineers who were let loose to build something they really want for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSportTune2 View Post
Took another look at the video and on those with full frontal view out of the driver seat, I cannot see any HUD projected. Wouldn't it be seen on the videos if HUD was indeed available?.

Just a thought! No trying to spoil a great effort by Sam and Jason.

Sam, can feel your andrenaline going wild just watching the video and hearing your commentary!

Sigh! It will be too expensive to own it here at estimated SGD320K (USD228K) on base model! I guess I have to wait to try one when BMW Incheon Driving Center starts having it on their fleet. Got to timed it with a vacation though.
Thanks! I'm glad you noticed. Part of the reason for the much longer than usual review is that I want you to experience the car the way I did. Glad you could relate to my adrenaline and emotions while driving this little beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Thanks for the review.What a great gig,to be able to test the new M2 at an awesome track.I appreciate your enthusiasm for the M brand and I was happy to hear that you felt the car was more raw and less polished in the handling department than the M3 and M4.Thanks for also confirming that the M2 has a very firm M suspension,where you get a true feel of the road.There is no need for adaptive suspension on an M car IMO.
Agreed! Standard suspension all the way for feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvdh View Post
Nice job. Now, one practical question: Does the rear seat fold down? It's not a deal-breaker for me, but it'd be nice if it did.
Sorry! Didn't think to test this one, but I'm curious too.
Appreciate 0