No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Since I somehow became the messenger in this, I would like to hear customer feedback on this.
Hi Mike, unfortunately, since ONLYACTIVE isn't too active on these forums, you have become the de-facto messenger. Since you're in contact with them, it might do some great Customer Service PSA if ONLYACTIVE were to comment on acknowledging this issue and what steps they're taking to remedy this wide-spread problem.

The good news is, since this is a very prevailing issue mustering a lot of noise, AA will undoubtedly address it since they are a stand up organization...which ultimately will result in more orders for both the vendors and manufacturer. Case in point: there is an AA EL for sale in the classifieds, and no-one is jumping on it. Had this come available earlier in the year (before this issue has risen) many of us here on this forum would have bought it (due to superlative initial batch success and current long wait-time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Is what Active said accurate? meaning you only hear the rattle on cold start or sport mode at 2K
Primarily, yes, but for treaceability, I will summarize all known/documented use cases below:

1. tinny/raspy noise occurs at cold start-up and around 2k RPM

2. NOTE: the tinny/raspy noise doesn’t happen EVERY COLD START nor EVERY TIME RPMs hit ~2k…
a. to me at least, while in 1st gear and clutched in (I’m 6sp), or in neutral, and revving past 2k RPM: approx.. 70% of the time the noise occurs
b. so this isn’t 100% repeatable…about 30% of the use cases, all sounds fantastic. Understanding why this doesn't occur 100% on all cold starts and every time the RPMs hit 2k, might lead to a timely resolution.

3. occurring on cold engines and also on warm engines. I have experienced some cold starts that were quite nice...just as expected. Only yesterday, I was with the family doing a Costco run…the startup sounded like someone fired a 22 caliber pistol. Scared the crap out of my family…wife even asked: is that normal, what's wrong with your car???

4. most users reported setups using stock downpipes and stock back muffler, but also on a few aftermarket mufflers, 1-2 owners even using AA’s own valved exhaust
a. most users are AA EL non-resonated, but some resonated ELs also reported same issue

5. This is 100% true all the time: Sport+ or Sport modes automatically engage the tinny/raspy sound around 2k RPMs (have not experienced it in efficient mode…and seriously, why would I drive in efficient to further gag the car’s noises???)

6. BOTH under load (i.e. starting off from a red light) and stationary revs

And last question...it seems that the most recent AA EL mid-pipes have a different design or build than the original one. Can anyone comment what changed?