08-09-2019, 11:36 PM   #61
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
I’ve been looking at tires for next season as well. Similar usage. I’m leaning toward Bridgestone S007s. Tire Rack reviews and testing are favorable so far and a friend tried them and liked them this fall.

Looks like they’ll do well in wet conditions like the RE71, but won’t wear quite as fast. They’re also a bit cheaper than the RE71 and RS4.

Anyone else try them yet?
Quoting myself in case anyone else stumbles on this wondering the same thing.

After watching this thread progress in the spring, I planned to change course and order RS4s. However, they were sold out for a bit and I couldn’t wait due to an upcoming track day. I ordered the S007s instead for a square 265/35r18.

I’m a high intermediate driver by Audi Club NW standards, and bounce between intermediate and advanced with other clubs/organizations. So while I keep a decent pace, I probably have some bad habits that are hard on tires.

Suspension is stock other than camber plates and 2.8f/1.8r camber with 0 toe in front and factory spec in rear.

The S007s did fine for the first few laps, but after that, I’d see lap times fall off consistently, and a lap or two later, the tires got greasy, making the car a bit of a handful. Target pressure was 35psi. They also didn’t improve measurably on the OE Conti’s, or 255/275r19 PS4s. In fact, the PS4S was subjectively a lot better feel, but I just murdered front tires with a staggered setup on track. Those first few laps before they began to overheat showed promise though, with balanced handling and more even front to rear wear.

Anyway, S007’s were looking a little too worn after 6 days to survive another three days this weekend at The Ridge Motorsport Park, so I switched to RS4’s for today. Not only did I improve my personal best at this track by over 2 seconds, the RS4s also never greased up, and after 6 20-25 minute sessions, didn’t show nearly the wear that the S007s did after the first day.

By the end of the day, I felt confident enough to try DSC off for the last session.

Short version; the S007 isn’t a great track tire when held next to a 200tw tire like the RS4. Hopefully Saturday and Sunday go as well as today.

Last edited by bentom2; 08-10-2019 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: Fixed tire size.
Appreciate 0