Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagged View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I think you will find a modern M car to feel incredibly disconnected and lazy in comparison to your 997. That's a given.

As for the M4 vs M2 I can comment on this. I initially visited my local dealership convinced I'd leave with an M3. I took it for a test drive and was really taken aback by how much I disliked it. The size is very, very noticeable. Inputs are numb. And the noise is absolutely horrendous. In my case it actually legitimately gave me a headache in cruising state. I wasn't a fan of the way the motor built its power either.

Enter the M2, I didn't find it to be night and day different, but different enough that it overcame my gripes with the M3. I hate the ASD, but it is genuinely a better sounding car. Sound, to me, is pretty important. Furthermore I found all the inputs to be a little more responsive. In terms of ride feel, the smaller package is noticeable. Is it compromised by having less bespoke components? Not from a numbers perspective, but certainly from a "specialness" perspective. The lack of a CF roof, M mirrors, and M seats really is depressing and detracts from the uniqueness of the car. Depreciation will be the least out of any current M car IMO due to the long lead times and low volumes.

I don't think the 1M is worth the hype and the asking price for the out-of-warranty high mileage 1Ms are a little ridiculous. But I guess if resale is a metric, the 1M certainly has that.

FWIW in any case I still wouldn't go DCT. Just do leg day and you'll be fine in traffic
Thanks for the feedback! Decided to get the slightly used M4 as I find it a bit more special plus it's in M/T. Hopefully, it will complement my 911 in PDK. It will actually be my first BMW and M car and excited to bring it home soon.
Hey congrats. It was a win win with whatever you were going to pick. I've never driven the M4 but I had a 1M and now have a 18 M2. I also owned a 09 M3. Only my M2 is Dct.

Seeing your post made me reflect on the 3 M cars I've had and to be honest I love them all but they're so different. So if I had to pick, I would pick all 3

Enjoy
Appreciate 0