View Single Post
      07-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
jagged
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp M/T

M2 vs M4 vs 1M, also vs Porsche, need advise

I've been lurking around the forums to research about M cars. In my country, M cars are extremely limited, very expensive, and generally 60-100% higher than US MSRP. Please let me share my situation as this will actually be my first BMW and first M car if ever...

I'm choosing between a new M2, an almost new M4 with 1500 miles, and maybe an opportunity to buy a slightly used 1M. By the way, all M cars are generally very rare here so it's unlikely that the 1M will appreciate in value unlike elsewhere. Here are my pros and cons so far between the 3...

M2
+ almost all possible options included (Comfort Access, Park sensors + camera, Harman Kardon, etc)
+ as its in DCT, it can be an occasional city car and will be the most comfortable to use (I've live in a very congested country and even our weekend traffic is A LOT worse than weekdays in many other countries).
- I'm unsure if the M2 is sort of a compromised M car as interior seems more "ordinary"
- since it's brand new, for sure I will take a big hit when it's time to sell (depreciation alone will be enough to buy something like a mid sized sedan)

M4
+ Looks and feels quite premium even if it's a bare model
+ Price is almost same as the new M2 so might be best in terms of value
+ Most powerful on paper
- maybe a little bit too big?
- performance figures seems too close to M2
- bare model meaning it is in M/T (I lean towards DCT a bit but I don't mind an M/T), cloth/leather interior, no electric seats, basic sound system, but at least has the Adaptive M Suspension and in 19" rims

1M
+ classic M car and highly regarded around the world
+ I'm almost sure that I can sell with almost zero depreciation
- I actually like the exterior but interior feels very dated
- with the car's age, parts probably needs replacement soon especially due to our extreme hot weather conditions

I'm not looking for a daily driver as I have other cars for that purpose. But as this will be my first M car and I would like to keep it for a while, I want a BMW car that represents the best M "driver's car" in terms of feel and fun.
Something that will stay still be fun as the car ages that's why modern interior tech options, while appreciated, are not too necessary.

I'm tempted with the M4 mainly because while it's the most expensive, it seems the best value for money and mechanically most high tech. But I've been reading many good reviews on the M2 lately and with DCT and all the modern features in the package, it might be the most "practical". The 1M is sort of a 3rd choice for me as honestly speaking, I'm more attracted to it mainly due to its reputation as a collector's car.

For M2 owners who have driven an M4, would you say that M2 is actually more fun? My only complaint on the M2 interiors, while having most of the modern features, feels not premium enough.

By the way, I do have a purely weekend car, a Porsche 997 Turbo S which is a rocket ship to drive (although you can hardly hear the engine sound). I hope I do not offend anyone but to M owners who also have own Porsches, respectfully, would you say that the M cars represent more of a different feel? And in terms of driving pleasure, it is not a step down right?

Thank you very much for sharing in advance!

p.s. I'm reposting my inquiry in the M4 forums to hear M4 owners' point of view also

Last edited by jagged; 07-10-2017 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0