View Single Post
      11-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #152
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKen_0115 View Post
I like to share I have done the mods for OEM turbo and fuel system under the custom tune. The custom tune works great but it really needs the higher octane(100+) and upgraded HPFP(B58 or aftermarket ones). I have upgraded the latest Pure Inlet, DV+, Catted DP, CTS open intake, FTP charge/boost pipes and Boostane for every tank. I had run Cary's custom tune over months and finally dialed in the car but crashing HPFP in the colder temp, I was running 18.x PSI and even 17.8 still crashing. Now Cary reduced and asked me to change HPFP in order to support the higher boost.

The whole learning for me is that the latest OTS works great and you can get most out of it but if I were you I will change HPFP system before adding the custom tune because you will see the crash eventually during the tuning process. Then back to the hardware limitation on N55.

It's my 2 cents....BTW Sean has helped me the several times during this tuning process. It turns out the limitation of our N55 and it's so hard even we just want a bit more...

Thanks.
Thanks for your input!

There's definitely some tail chasing that is a time suck as we each reach the edge of our fueling constraints and deal with issues like intake/engine cooling. That said, I've definitely learned a lot by finding these limits and devising improvements & work arounds.

I'm already used to having to dial back the tune in cold months from Stg 2 E30 to Stg 2 93, and I can certainly see how a custom tune would strain the HPFP in winter with the colder/denser air. I wouldn't want to run octane booster, so there's likely little power to be gained for me in the winter with a custom tune without upgrading the HPFP, as you explained.

Altho, I could probably squeeze a little more power from a custom tune in the summer, but you never know. Just depends on how strong each of our OEM HPFP's are.

That still takes me back to dealing with IATs & engine cooling starting with just the OTS map on hot summer track days, and trying to decide b/n the Evo III Comp and WMI pros/cons.

I don't know if there's a right answer for my case beyond just flipping a coin....

Last edited by ZM2; 11-18-2019 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0