View Single Post
      11-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #150
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MGM View Post
The only Noticeable increase in lag I experienced throughout the FBO continuum was when I swapped from the Evo 1 to the Evo 2. I bet a similar increase will be experienced when going from the Evo 2 to 3. What’s the weight on that Evo 3 btw? It’s huge...and Also wont help air flow to water radiator.
Suggest you consider WMI. I run all Oe oil/water coolers and don’t experience any high fluid temp issues...even in Texas summer heat. At least Some of that is attributable to the WMI. Plus I have zero hpfp issues..and 100 + octane fuel !
I had the same thoughts regarding the Evo III, and I still go between the pros/cons of WMI in my head. Below are the options I'm looking at, including costs to me (parts, labor since I don't have a good garage setup in the city, and selling off any replaced parts).

Evo III Comp ($1.5k)
HP Gain: 0-5hp from lower IATs and less timing pull on hot days.
Pros: 20-25F lower IATs after the first few pulls. Will the IAT/ambient temp delta be less than the 50-60F delta I experience during hot summer track sessions? Unknown, but it would certainly buy some time in keeping IATs lower.
Cons: 10lbs heavier. Reduced airflow to the radiator? Additional lag? Wagner says the Evo III has less pressure drop per mass flow than the Evo II Comp, but those numbers are constant flow bench tests and there's almost double the volume to fill, so I have to believe there will be additional lag in stop/go part throttle applications. As for the reduced radiator air flow, I think this would be a wash as the air pressure at 70-150mph should be enough to still blow right thru the IC & radiator, and if the IC is keeping IATs lower that means the air temp hitting the radiator will be lower, as well.

WMI ($1.5k upfront, $500/yr)
HP Gain: 5-10hp. I wouldn't tune for WMI and I'm already using E30 to keep power levels up on summer days, so modest hp gain.
Pros: Lower IATs give a little power bump and helps prevent or buy time from heat soak. Helps with HPFP crashing under WOT at high RPMs.
Cons: Running costs & transporting jugs of 50/50 meth/water. I'd need to go with at least 750cc to keep IATs down with higher power levels, so if I'm at an open track day that's likely 8-10gal of mix I'd need to bring with me.

Also, not a pro or con, but an observation: WMI wouldn't help with HPFP crashing when you're just cruising around and then punch it from mid RPMs in lower gears. The additional WMI fueling doesn't happen quickly enough to keep the HPFP from crashing in those situations, but when rocking down the straightaway in higher RPMs/gears WMI should help with HPFP crashing.

Pure Inlet + GFB DV ($1k)
HP Gain: 0-5hp
Pros: Less restriction, less lag, maybe slightly less heat.
Cons: More turbo noise.
The new Pure inlet pipe wasn't out when I installed the FTP inlet pipe. Should probably do these items regardless of the other work.

Custom Tune with Dinan turbo ($600)
HP Gain: 15-20hp
Pros: Good hp/$ value.
Cons: More heat. Need to implement one of the solutions above to help manage IATs. Will be on the edge of HPFP crashing by pushing more fuel.

Bigger Turbo & HPFP, Custom Tune ($5-6k)
HP Gain: 40hp. Can get more hp, but would keep the power gain lower to help keep the heat generation lower.
Pros: More power, never have to talk about HPFP's again.
Cons: Higher expense, more lag. My gut tells me I'd still need the larger IC or WMI if I'm pushing it during long, hot summer track sessions.

Air to Liquid IC conversion
Much more effective at keeping IATs in check, but more custom of a project than I'm wanting to do for a daily driver that still has some warranty left.

So, I've laid out the options, but still not quite which direction to go. The Pure Inlet + GFB DV and custom Dinan Turbo tune seem like must do's, but does the Evo III or WMI make more sense to supplement those items....?

Last edited by ZM2; 11-17-2019 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0