Rep
Drives: M2C HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hson10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Quote:
this was super good advice. I actually tried jacking the car up from the center point, and the suspension makes 0 noise when both front wheels are off the ground and turning side to side. I looked at the spring perch, and it looks like everything is aligned as should be. However, I did notice some scoring on the bottom on the spring - maybe when compressed, the spring is hitting each other? Wonder if I need an isolator. Also, Not sure on the top strut nut. I tried using some lubricant on the underside of the tophat (where the bearing would be), but no avail, noise is still there as soon as the car is back on the ground.

Attaching some photos to show what I mean
As Farkle said, the paint scoring is from coil bind when weight is on the spring, compressing it. Not an issue.

Okay, so to eliminate the noise coming from the spring rotating on the lower surface (which would mean the top hat bearings g isn't working as it should), take a marker and draw a line on the spring relative to a feature on the adjusting collar. That key slot in the pic for example. Then rotate steering in both directions and see if the spring rotates with the adjuster as it should. Normally you get multiple clicks when the coil is skidding on the bottom surface, as it binds and slips, binds and slips.

My money is still on the top strut nut not done up tight enough. Drop an 18mm socket onto it and try tighten it. If it rotates with the damper rod, it probably isn't tight enough. Whilst in the engine bay, just double check the top hat bolts too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Quote:
this was super good advice. I actually tried jacking the car up from the center point, and the suspension makes 0 noise when both front wheels are off the ground and turning side to side. I looked at the spring perch, and it looks like everything is aligned as should be. However, I did notice some scoring on the bottom on the spring - maybe when compressed, the spring is hitting each other? Wonder if I need an isolator. Also, Not sure on the top strut nut. I tried using some lubricant on the underside of the tophat (where the bearing would be), but no avail, noise is still there as soon as the car is back on the ground.

Attaching some photos to show what I mean
As Farkle said, the paint scoring is from coil bind when weight is on the spring, compressing it. Not an issue.

Okay, so to eliminate the noise coming from the spring rotating on the lower surface (which would mean the top hat bearings g isn't working as it should), take a marker and draw a line on the spring relative to a feature on the adjusting collar. That key slot in the pic for example. Then rotate steering in both directions and see if the spring rotates with the adjuster as it should. Normally you get multiple clicks when the coil is skidding on the bottom surface, as it binds and slips, binds and slips.

My money is still on the top strut nut not done up tight enough. Drop an 18mm socket onto it and try tighten it. If it rotates with the damper rod, it probably isn't tight enough. Whilst in the engine bay, just double check the top hat bolts too.
So I just tried to tighten the tophat bolt. it's really tight. like I couldn't turn it with just the 18mm socket. I tried putting the deep socket on and then holding it with a vice grip and turning while holding the 10mm middle hex with a skinny socket, and it wouldn't even budge..

At this point, signs are pointing to the tophat bearing?? Not 100% sure, but definitely seems like it could be the culprit. If the spring was skipping, I feel like it would be more of a popping noise than this clicking.
Have you found a solution? My front MSS kit starting making the same sounds after 2,500 miles.
Appreciate 0