View Single Post
      10-08-2017, 08:26 PM   #33
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Making progress on laser falsing in M2 ... sort of

My V1 is as old as you can get and still have the Junk Fighter installed. It's been used in a variety of cars and only gives a false rear laser alert in the M2. It happens any time and all the time - it doesn't matter if the ignition is on or off, if the key fob is in the car or far away, or even if it's running on the M2's power or a 12-volt source 10 feet from the M2.

In my M2, the Rear Laser Sensor "sees" anything up to 12 inches or so - your hand when you want to adjust the volume or mute it, a piece of paper, your cold dog's nose, or even the back of the control display or the rearview mirror. The solution? Put a piece of black electrical tape over the round, 1/4-inch Rear Laser Sensor between the Bogey Counter and the Band Identifier Lights. That's it - problem solved - but of course you lose the functionality of rear laser detection, which is minimally useful anyway.

I suspect the V1 is picking up some type of electromagnetic interference from the center of the dash of the M2. If you ran a piece of tape from the lower outside corners of the climate control unit, up over the rearview mirror and to the windshield, you'd define the area where the interference is greatest - but it can false outside of that area too. Some BMWs are known to Valentine as being susceptible to OBD II-related interference (like several other cars) but I don't know if that has anything to do with this issue. I'm going to call Valentine this week.
Appreciate 0