Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 "Stripper" Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
This was a 2019 post I sent:

Quote:

[COLOR="Red"]
Happens to less than 1% of S55 engines, so it's really blown out of proportion. You can get an aftermarket fix if you are really that worried.
Any aftermarket fix in the warranty period will void it. Best not to tune it if your that worried until after the warranty has expired.

With everything I've read in the last 2 yrs almost all the spun hubs have not caused valve/piston contact. So its just a labor charge to get in there and replace the hub and re-align the new one.

Now if you money shift the car (6 spd) thats going to be expensive and has nothing to do with a spun hub.
I have not been to much in the forum but I read a lot regarding this, if the proportion of BMW damaged for the defective hub is so high as someone claims I am really sure that a sue to BMW would surface.

The IMS problem with the 996, Boxters, Caymans and 997.1 models (not GT or Turbos those have Mezger engine ended with a settlement. (IMS failure was around 5% if I reckon. You can check it out here http://www.imsporschesettlement.com/

Porsche also had and issues with the coolant hoses in the early Cayenne models. Coolant hoses were replaced for free if you complain about been charged you for an upgraded coolant hose that Porsche recommended.

If the Crank hub failure is so high for sure any lawyer would try to sue BMW

I read the same horror stories in the forums while I was owner of 2 STI, or with the S2000 and the 4th cylinder failure.

as STR said, if you are worried do not mod the car until the warranty is off
MY02 S2000 > MY11 STI > MY01 E46 M3 > MY05 S2000 > MY06 911 C2S > MY88 944 TURBO S > MY17 STI > MY17 SS 1LE > C7 GS w/ ZO7 package > MY18 ZL1 >MY20 F87> MY17 F80 ZCP> MY18 Subaru STi Type RA > MY13 E92 "Stripper"
Appreciate 0