2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Count your blessing, Wireless CarPlay in BMWs sucks.

It constantly drops the APPs or has problems connecting, upon start-up and this is on various BMWs including one with the newest iDrive 7 software (07/2019).

I own all Apple products, so I'm not bias toward them but facts is facts; BMW needs to put that technology back in give oven because it's not done yet.

I would pay $80 a year to have it removed - good riddance CarPlay. ✌🏻
It's been flawless for me. By far better than any USB CarPlay I have used in several other brands. I have maybe one issue connecting in 1.5 years of ownership. I wonder what they would have done differently in the latest iDrive to make it less reliable.
I wish I had the same experience as you did, as I'm an Apple fanatic and would of love to rave about it but I have to be honest with myself.

I like to consider myself pretty tech-savvy but in my experience, BMW's version of CP is buggy and is not as seamless as all of Apple's ecosystem I'm accustom to; which is 'Set & Forget.' However, BMW's CP always requires some sort of manual intervention to get it up and running again or get the devices to "handshake."

It's not so much the software design but the mention of operation; which connects through WI-Fi instead of a hardwire.

I'm positive the WiFi/Bluetooth integration is responsible for the connection issues mentioned simply because I've used wired CarPlay in a Cadillac CTS, Toyota Prius and my friend's Alfa Romeo, all wired and works flawlessly.

The fact that Apple is constantly revising its phone software and related APPs, yet BMW integration i-level remains static, I'm sure doesn't exactly help in getting the devices to sync properly.

So it's not so much CarPlay, pre se, but it's method of connection sometimes has a mind of its own and choose to pain/unpair, on its own terms.
The only time I've ever had a problem is when I've put the phone in Airplane mode or have turned off BT or WiFi for some reason.

Jumping between the M2 and X4 has been flawless, picking up where I have left off.

The M2C is acting a bit strange not displaying the previous iDrive screen but I haven't determined a pattern, so I can't ask service to check it. Either way it's a BMW ConnectedDrive drive issue not Apple CarPlay.
Appreciate 0