01-21-2017, 12:31 AM   #74
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
it wasn't really called an LCI back then of course.. but yes.. in the US.. the 1995 M3 was the 3.0 liter S50B30US with Bosch Motronic and OBD-1 and then for the 1996-99 models BMW switched to Siemens Motronic and the larger displacement 3.2L S52B32US which was OBD-II.

From Wikipedia

OBD-II standardization was prompted to simplify diagnosis of increasingly complicated emissions equipment, and though only emission-related codes and data are required to be transmitted through it according to U.S. legislation, most manufacturers have made the OBD-II Data Link Connector the main connector in the vehicle through which all systems are diagnosed and reprogrammed

The E36 M3 in the US was produced for an exceptionally long time due to this change... I don't recall exactly but I do believe all 1996 model year vehicles in the US were required to be OBD-II.

This ^^. The e36 M3 went from the S50 to the S52 in the US because of federal emissions requirements for 1996 - the engine gained .2 liters, produced the same power, had a slightly better torque curve, but could produce less total power without a OBDI conversion - meaning the 1995 S50 was better for those looking to get euro-levels of power out of their US spec M3.

The only real instance of BMW ever changing engines in a M car mid cycle was the z3 - going from the S52 to S54 which was a huge change in every possible way.

It's never happened since and it's not going to happen here. But if it did, I'll be in line to buy it Those S54 Z3s are awesome and they're going for more used than they were new.
Appreciate 1
ddk632585.00