11-29-2019, 08:28 AM   #796
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
If they sold this for 70-75k USD, it would be perfect. An instant sell out success and instant classic.

But if they sell it for 85-90k USD, you'd see a ho-hum reception, a lot of orders cancelled and this end up going for 5k discounts ala the M3/M4 CS failures.

I agree. I anticipated 75k plus options. If this car was 83k as it sits on the floor that would be one thing but I presume that CCB, gold wheels , cup tires, and other items may be extra.

As the M2 has moved from OG to M2C... ( add S55 and M4 seats ) to M2 CS ...( add M4 leather, CF roof and adaptive suspension) the M2 has become more and more like the M4 with each iteration. It'd also added weight with each iteration... including the M2 CS which got so much heavier despite its lightweight parts being added that there is zero weight reduction unless one options CCB).

Meanwhile the price has moved from an original 52k on up to 58k and now up another 25k.
Most well equipped M4 I see on the lot run around 82k.... less than an M2 CS.

To me ... without even leaving the marque, there are two many other competitors for this now, many available gently used.

Used OG M2 - 40k
Used 1M - 55k
New M2C - 60k or less
New M4C- 82-85k
Used M4 GTS - available at 80k
Used M3 CS - available at 80k
Used M4 CS - available at 80k

The performance of the M2 CS (as with the M3 CS and M4 CS) has not been enhanced commensurate with its massive price increase.

At this point the M2 CS only has 6MT and a shorter wheelbase , otherwise it is basically an extension of the M4 CS which is set to end production in feb 2020.

After an initial flurry of purchases, I agree that I think the M2 CS will end up fully optioned on lots at 90k, dealers will not allow euro delivery and production so far has not been limited to a set figure. Even if it is " limited " BMW will never hold the line at a figure (like Lays chips - they always make more ) and these won't be numbered editions.

The M2 CS does have a 6 speed, which sets it apart from the M3 and M4 CS... but at this point with 18 months of production left on the M2 and if the CS is still produced until next December ... I'll happily sit back and wait to see how the market accepts this model as M4 CS sunsets and dealers begin clearing out M4.

I anticipate leftover M4 CS on dealer lots as the 2er soldiers on and the next generation 3er and 4er come along. If one is buying DCT.. I really see very little reason to go with an M2 CS over an M4 CS that can be had at around the same price, and as such the M2 CS will continue to be used to sell more M4.

Even if the M2 CS is a sellout , I think the worst case scenario is that I " miss out " on an M2 CS and end up with a euro delivery M2C somewhere close to ED invoice In spring of 2021.
Appreciate 3