10-01-2020, 05:24 PM   #53
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
Because if you have good experience with racing cars, then you are definitely a relatively fast driver and definitely faster than those, who tried road legal cars only.

Having got some experience with racing cars but being limited to travel now because of pandemic, I have no other choice except for having fun with road legal cars now. Thus I started to bring my wife’s M2C to racetrack together with my 911 GT3.

Some things are true whether you believe it or not:
- 2NH are significantly better than regular (smaller) brakes on the M2C
- Size of the brake calipers and rotors does matter as it helps a lot not to overheat your brakes - you can’t ignore the laws of physics
- Changing brake pads and brake fluid is a must if you want to push your car hard enough but if you don’t do it then the 2NH will still perform better on the racetrack
- “Street“ also means highway, as it means road use (not race track). My M2C was used for 2 years on public roads only and until recently never saw racetracks. I did travel a lot across Europe with this car and never had any problems for 2 years with the brakes which are 2NH. This is the first M car with steel rotors, which survived for 2 years my driving style. All my previous M cars with steel rotors with no exception had always overheating problem within the first several months of ownership. This one has no problem until today.

As a result: 2NH brakes are an absolute must and are superior to blue brakes regardless whether you use this car on the street or on a racetrack.
Your conclusion of 2NH being better than regular blue brakes is based on track use, which I already addressed above. Care to read it?
I never disputed the fact that bigger brakes should - in theory - perform better at the track, where heat is your biggest enemy. You're basically repeating a lot of what I already stated.

But hold up. Let's back up...

This thread started with street pad recommendations. Me and others believe that stock pads are great for the street. The conversation went south when some folks started to exeggerate how bad and destructive the stock pads are on the street by throwing unsupported/ludicrous statements around, such as:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
The stock pads will kill the stock rotors three times as fast [as ceramic pads]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
The stock pad is a street/track pad.
Let's clear up a few points. The stock pad is a street-only pad. Period.

In addition, there's no actual data to back up your claims suggesting that 2NH brakes are significantly better for track use than the standard blue brakes. Yes, we can agree that the 2NH brakes are bigger and therefore better at managing heat due to mass, but neither of these brakes have good enough cooling to begin with, so we're splitting hair as far as which will last longer, since both will overheat after some decent track use. Both 2NH and the blue brakes suffer from very poor ventilation relative to race calipers. Speaking of which, if you ever saw race calipers next to OEM calipers, you would know why. The stock calipers are designed for the street with compliance and efficiency in mind. One of the design objectives is also to look "cool" and aggressive, but are never purpose built to handle extreme loads or temperatures. Race calipers are pretty much the complete opposite: they have to be typically compact, lightweight, well ventilated, and durable at high temps. They don't need dust boots either. A lot of people are surprised to learn that most race-focused calipers have smaller pistons than OEM calipers. It is widely believed that monoblock OEM calipers are stiffer than two-piece race calipers, but that's not actually true.

In my experience, the 2NH brakes are not "significantly better" or "superior" to the standard blue brakes.
Appreciate 0