04-15-2024, 01:14 PM   #610
E90convert
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 DCT, F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post

Yeah, it seems Honda doesn't do very much testing aside from viscosity... So in this regard I don't really trust Honda's judgement on what oil is good to use aside from viscosity. I'd rather rely on well known and extremely rigourous tests from other OEM's + independent testing to determine what oil is good to use rather than always relying on one OE specifications alone. This should also show that overly trusting an OEM and trusting that their engineers have what's best for the engine in mind (like bmw saying FE oils are preferred when jts clear they don't protect as well as non fe oils, and are only used for emissions), isn't always a good strategy. Because by that logic there would be zero difference between me using Pennzoil platinum 0w20 in my Honda vs. super tech full synthetic Walmart no name oil that is api certified...
I'd consider that the non-performance Honda engines are relatively low-tech and robust enough that they do not need to rely on additional oil requirements to operate with long life. I doubt Honda tests its engines with anything other than genuine oil, though. As far as FE vs. non-FE oil speccing..., I hypothetically would step up from the 20-grade and run a 30-grade oil for track use on a Honda engine that was not tested or specifically designed for track use.
Sold in 2020 '08 E92 335xi 6MT
Sold in 2016 '08 E90 335i 6MT - FBO
Appreciate 0