View Single Post
      10-04-2023, 06:35 PM   #14
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
The Cup2 are a big no go in the wet for me. Actually they are a no go in general unless I have a difficult fit (the GT3 RS for example on its street wheels being a 20/21 stagger and pretty wide in the rear) and want a bit more dry grip than the MP4S offers and do not plan any wet driving.

On a wet track under most circumstances you should be able to find a line around that avoids standing water. I have only been on one track where that was not the case and that was due to a retaining pond being flooded over and the water spilling over crossing the track (so abnormal). Tracks are generally designed to drain - and not being perfectly flat is a good thing that helps with this (its actually the flatter tracks where I would be more concerned about surprise puddling). The general move is to push out from the apex for a faster line that typically helps avoid standing water too. You change your driving and line to adjust to this. Now in this case with a new track to me it is risk/reward. The RE71RS is faster in the wet - that is not an argument - but do come with the higher risk of hydroplaning in standing water. For someone new to a track that doesn't know where the standing water likes to hide then having a little more safety margin can be pretty nice. Typically you will have a pretty good idea where it will be but there are often surprises - i.e. on the back straight of COTA a bit past 1/2 way on the left side of the track there often forms a puddle that has caught quite a few cars out with bad results. The Cup2 happens to be on quite a few of these... Point being that a bit more hydroplaning resistance might be worth the tradeoff for a bit of pace.

On a track I know I would boot up the RE71RS without hesitation. Or if you are pretty comfortable with car control and learning tracks quickly would still choose them. Otherwise that extra bit of hydroplaning resistance might be nice to have to help you enjoy the weekend a bit more. Not saying that MooMooM2 is not good at either of those - but the only information being that he has not been there before and 100% chance of rain then the MP4S could be pretty helpful in this case (assuming the rain chance is all weekend).

Cup2s are an 180TW tire that is slower than the faster 200TW tires and worse in the wet. Really their only benefit is a bit of dry grip in hard fitment cases. And they are overpriced.
I have played the track on the Sim a few times so at least that will speed up the learning and decent car control. The ps4S are my daily tires and just did a skid pad with them like a month ago so their grip in the rain is decently fresh in my head. The REs I just never used once, I had them mounted on to the track wheels and have not yet even put them in the car. I am hopping to have another track day towards the end of the year to actually use them or they will just sit unused till next season.

I am going to wait till Friday afternoon to make the call but if they are calling for 70-100% rain and its now 3 days before the event I don't think they will be wrong. A bummer but hey I am still going to go and have a good time. might cut the day short though, its 7 sessions and I might for 4 or so and call it a day.

Track is NY safety track which is know to be super sketchy which is another reason why I am not trying to bring equipment I never used before and certainly not going to try to break any records, just want to have some fun
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4735.50