View Single Post
      07-20-2019, 09:41 AM   #67
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Z8s were selling for $50k off sticker back in the day since they were sitting at dealerships for over a year. Their value only took off a few later.

The 1M, on the other hand, instantly sold out.

Very different stories altogether.

The 1M was an odd story and will never happen again. A car that was developed initially after hours. Not approved by executives. Eventually, reluctantly produced. Low production. Crazy fun to drive. 3 colours and manual only. Not many options. There's still nothing else like it and don't think there ever will be...

I hope the CS is a good car because enthusiasts deserve more 'pure' and fun cars but I always worry when too many options are given and these turn into marketing exercises rather than stick to the original goal. We will see
"In order to promote the Z8 to collectors and reinforce media speculation about the car's "instant classic" potential, BMW promised that a 50-year stockpile of spare parts would be maintained in order to support the Z8 fleet. Due to the limited volume of production, all elements of the car were constructed or finished by hand, thereby compounding the importance of ongoing manufacturer support for the type. The price point and production process allowed BMW to offer customised options to interested buyers. A significant number of cars with bespoke paint and interior treatments were produced over the course of the four-year production run by BMW Individual, a division of BMW AG."

BMW played the long game with this car.

How many collectibles have 50-year stockpile of spare parts? Almost none.

For a long time the 1M was the only short wheel based compact coupe sports car. However, with the introduction of the M2 the 1M became much less unique because the M2 is nothing else than the modernized version of the 1M with a better everything except transmission and steering. 1M still is a rare and desirable car but just not THAT unique anymore. It went from extremely special to kinda special in my eyes.

Not too sure if the M2CS will be that great. Based on what they changed from the M2C, I feel like you wouldn't really notice much difference. The bulk of the 20-30k premium is pretty much spent on exterior and interior cosmetics.

Last edited by Dav3; 07-20-2019 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
10"4974.50