08-22-2014, 12:28 AM   #54
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
I don't get how you don't get that those of you who want to own a manual are in the minority (by a large amount). You're severely limiting the "fun" you can have because you're being narrow-minded and writing off cars simply because they don't offer a manual. Pretty soon there will be maybe 2 performance cars in the world that come in manual while the rest of us are having fun in our DCTs. And I actually see a lot more women than men now actively looking to drive manuals.

As I said I think every car should offer a manual and an automatic tranny but the reality is that for the OEMs the ROI just isn't there to put in the R&D to put in a manual since very few are buying them. If you give me a manual and an auto for a short period of time, then sure i'd love to drive a manual, but owning one day in and day out is tedious. And the DCTs are so good now that I really don't miss manual at all. It's still fun to drive a manual every once in awhile but it's not a necessity for me. I love banging out shifts from a DCT like I'm firing bullets from a bolt-action rifle and being able to focus on driving lines rather than worrying about shifting from 2nd to 3rd instead of 2nd to 5th on a sloppy gearbox when I'm in hurry to shift gears

TBH, I can drive either manual or auto and I'd probably slightly prefer the manual on a nice open road but if the car I want is only offered in auto, there's no way I'm writing it off just because of that.
If I was just buying transportation, I wouldn't care but if I want "an experience" I prefer manual and yes, I will not buy a car "of this type" because it's not the popular choice. How could I in good conscience reward Audi or Lexus for not taking my wants into account? BMW, Ford, Mazda and BMW care about me so I feel compelled to vote with my wallet. So for the experience that I want, I want a manual and will not settle so yes, I called Audi today because I was interested in S3...but automatic only....game over, discounted, nice car but I'm moving on.

RS3, should be respected and if you love automatics, deserves BMW's respect, but if only automatic, moving on.

Sorry, call it closed minded whatever... I do it every day...I see ad for M3 or 1M that says "Loaded" I move on. Don't care what it says... Loaded is a bad word in my automotive mind.

.. I see a girl showing me her ex Boyfriend tattoo on her forehead..sorry, moving on...yeah close minded!

She's probably a really nice girl if I get to know her but lost interest.
Appreciate 0