01-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #10
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by david45 View Post
Thanks for posting this! Lots of interesting info!

Just curious here but have you considered running your front speakers active and ditching the passive crossovers? This is what I'm going to do when I get my match 7 UP amp (or Helix P SIX MK2...still undecided)
Most people choose to unplug their center speaker and rears and run an extra set of cables to the 4'' mids, which gives you more flexibility as well as some extra headroom in terms of power.

The OEM underseat woofers are said to perform quite well with the extra power at 2 ohms provided by the Match amp (160 WPC) since they're badly underpowered from factory, especially considering they wouldn't play anything below 80hz in your system. I assume they would also have an easier time reaching up to your Morel mids than the Earthquake woofers. Did you try them before swapping in the new drivers? Do you still have them? In my case I'm considering the Jehnert Flatlines 3 way set which includes the xe200 woofers. They are quite efficient at 91db/W at 1m and don't need much power, but need a real subwoofer depending on material being played.

Most importantly, I'd like to know how you feel about the corner-loaded subwoofer in custom enclosure. I believe you're only adding about 25 pounds to the M2 (10w3v3 driver + enclosure + amp) which is not too substantial. You probably notice a nice increase in volume when you open up the ski pass? Rattles? How do you like it with various types of music?
I'm considering going IB but it's a lot more work, more costly and most likely heavier depending on drivers used, materials (plywood vs mdf), rear deck vs ski pass, etc.

Here are 2 links you might also find of interest:

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/h...ssories/sdmi25

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1489778

(6spdcoupe is amongst other things the Jehnert distributor in the US and seems quite impressed with the new alpha one underseats.) They're expensive, but from what I understand they go just as low as the Earthquake, are more efficient and can play a lot higher just like the xe200 woofers. They're probably not as clean and tasty sounding as those (TBD), but should represent a good compromise for people not willing to deal with the added weight and complexity of a trunk subwoofer...to a certain extent of course. Oh and they're available at 2-ohm so perfect for the Match 7 UP!!

Cheers,

David
Thanks for the comments. I'm not going the full active route because I like the ability to run all channels or switch off certain channels using separate sound profiles in the Director. Although I have been toying with the thought of using a Match UP 7 in a another car in a setup like you're describing.

Quite honestly, I never tried the OEM underseat woofers with the Match amp. I got the Earthquakes kinda cheap so I went straight with them. I've got them tuned pretty good according to my ears. I was worried about the impedance mis-match of the Jehnert's 6ohm to the Match 2ohm and that's why I didn't go with them. But Match has a new 2ohm sub- UP W8BMW-S. I'm wondering if it will perform like the Jehnerts.

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...ers/up-w8bmw-s

The corner loaded sub enclosure makes all the difference to me. MusicarNW told me they designed their enclosure for the 10W3 and I can tell. I have a sound profile setup for the underseat woofers to play all the way down to 20hz. Although you can hear the music that low, you can't feel it. Once I switch to the trunk sub you can feel the music. I don't have any noticeable rattles inside the cabin yet; I'll address those as they develop. Oh, btw, I'm not lucky enough to have the ski-pass; I wish I had that option. I don't think any US models got that option.

I saw that Helix came out with their MOST adapter about a month after I had already installed my Mobridge DA1. They both do basically the same thing. If the Helix unit had been available when I was shopping I would have gone with that instead.
Appreciate 0