03-12-2019, 07:12 AM   #46
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurse View Post
They're pushing the limits all the time though. It's got to be quiet when cruising, sound like a jet plane when on it, pull like a train from 0 rpm, rev all the way to 8000 rpm, use 5L of fuel per 100KMs and only create an exhaust gas output equal to that of an asthmatic sparrow.

Porsche had to recall the 991.1 GT3 multiple times due to the engine catching on fire, misfires etc. They ended up giving every owner a 10 year warranty on the engine. Not really an issue when you're selling only a low volume of that particular car.

I would think honouring 80,000 extended warranties on the F8x series when they make less margin than Porsche does on each GT3 might not be that commercially savvy.
The .1 GT3 (MY2014) fire issues were very limited and the recall/stop sale occurred once; 3 or 4 reported engine fires iircc. Manufacturing defects to the Con Rod bolts were the cause. The recall addressed every car affected, which was basically all the 2014 MY with the 'E' engines. MY2015/2016 'F' and 'G' engines were unaffected; aside from possibly a few early MY2015s.

The 10 warranty was later offered because some valve train rocker arms were found to have manufacturing defects causing premature cam lobe wear. Again, limited but enough cases and concern for Porsche to step up and make .1 owner's very happy.

Last edited by devo; 03-12-2019 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0