Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
they're not discounted. they're destroyed

nobody sells pre-production, test cars, or media cars to the public...they don't go into circulation or ownership.

EDIT: just reading the link you provided. how do you have proof that one of the press cars was sold to the public? how did that owners know it was a press car? In general these cars are not sold. IF they were, i would imagine a BMW exec got one somehow and then sold it later on...
Run the VIN, it says it's a press car. You are highly mistaken. Pre-production, press, exhibit cars constantly end up in public hands. In some cases even test mules and prototypes end up in public hands.

BMW M6 test mule built on top of a 635CSi

Another test mule. 850CSi built on top of an 850i.

When you get a pre-production car, you sometimes end up with some rare options, like this E39 M5

Pre-production E46 M3

Pre-production E36 M3 Sedan. This is the only E36 M3 Sedan built for the Canadian market with an automatic transmission. Automatic transmission was never available on the E36 outside US.

This is straight up a concept car. It's a 325i Convertible with all-wheel drive(never available on the convertibles) and E30 M3 body.
Thanks for the links. Very interesting obviously however it doesn't change the fact that they are not SUPPOSED to reach circulation. These cars mainly get rescued by execs and people within the BMW loop—-eventually hitting the market when those people move them on. For all intensive purposes there are 2 numbers; sales numbers and total production numbers. These cars are not sold as new from the dealer as the actual 'new' cars are so I don't feel they should strictly be counted in official sales or circulation numbers; that being said they are very interesting!

Pre-production cars do not meet federal mandates as they still have not reached final spec prior to mass production. They are still considered 'test' vehicles. They either get destroyed OR get kept under company ownership. My guess is these go to 'owners' through company ownership. In the old days of the 80s and 90s maybe there were more efficient ways of working loopholes through the system...and companies still probably have ways to do that!
If they're out there on the market to be bought they should be counted. If the discussion is how rare is this car, you should count all the cars that the public has access to.
Appreciate 0