BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL9M2 View Post
No matter how we try to justify it the exhaust on a brand new $50k+ car should not rattle. I'm on my second and it still rattles. It's unacceptable. I would suggest not having the system port installed or installed at the dealer as the factory recommended method to fit it past the small lower cross brace is to smash in the pipe on one side. Seriously. Someone on here sells a modified brace that allows the pipe to pass over it at full diameter. That and a proper v-band clamp are helpful.
I installed my own but followed the recommended instructions and had no clearance issues on the underbody crossbrace and zero vibrations. You really have to ram the MPE onto the stock exhaust deep though which took some creativity. In retrospect, I would probably cut in front of the dimple instead of right on it to give a tad more clearance. It's pretty tight on the rear diffuser as well and some members have melted them because of this. Another inch would have been perfect.
Thanks a this is really helpful as I'm about to get an MPE installed next week with my workshop. Definitely do want them to ensure there's no rattle so hopefully they're somewhat across this with their experience of installing MPEs.

It sucks for those that were port installed that they weren't able to be part of the process to fine tune the installation.
Appreciate 0