Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarygary View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I believe frequent alignment recommendations is a auto repair shop's way of recouping the cost of equipment they invested in. A typical Hunter alignment machine is like 200k, give or take and someone has to pay for all that..

When your tire begin to wear funny or something changes in the ride or steering, then by all means, please get it checked out but other than that, the house always wins..

Fixing something that isn't broken sometimes results in making something broke that wasn't.. ** haiku**
A while back the service advisor told me it needed alignment. How I described the issue to them, the front end started to feel loose and during acceleration the front would move around/feel unstable. Similar to windy conditions. I guess alignment is what they came up with after driving it. There was probably 30k miles on the car at that point.

Was it just bs? They give you the before and after, but you say the alignment shouldnt be off other than components not working as intended, right?
From what I understand, you really don't need an wheel alignment unless major suspension components are replaced and even then it's still just a rough check on the work that was done, not necessarily a hard requirement.

I used to work in a major parts/auto repair shop, similar to Pep Boys and it was an insider joke that the mechanics and service writer called for a wheel alignment as just a way to pad the bill. That was pretty much easy money for them and something the customers would not question, just 10 mins of pretending to turn a wrench and print out a piece of paper.

It sounds to me like the dealer suggesting a alignment was just a shot in dark and not really the cause of the underlying issue, which could of been anything from tire pressure variations or just undulations in the road surface giving off the impression that the settings was off.
Appreciate 0