View Single Post
      06-27-2020, 06:42 AM   #40
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poffman View Post
How specifically did you fix the airbag light? I just did the swap an hour ago to M2C seats for my OG (thanks Rocketboots!) I moved the seatbelt buckles only, aside from the airbag light and the button on the back of the seat to go forward and back everything else works. Thanks!

Several separate things here:

First, the backstory.

I originally bought a complete interior on which the driver's seat airbag was blown, and the seatbelt tensioner had fired.

I got fed up waiting for the automotive upholsterer to reopen over the past few months so bought another driver's seat from a crashed car and fitted that along with the passenger seat from the full interior.

During fitting, I followed the advice to swap the seat modules over to make sure everything worked (plus, I really wasn't interested in swapping the airbags which seems to be the other approach). This worked for both seats, but the seat bolsters didn't seem to be working although the lumbar adjustment (which my original seats didn't have) did. It turned out the bolsters were just deflated and took longer to pump back up than I was expecting. All other buttons worked fine.

But, I had a warning light for Driver Restraint System. At this point I was trying to understand the differences in the looms between the original and replacement seats to see if this could be the cause. As it turned out, unplugging the passenger seat with the battery still connected will give you a Passenger Restraint System warning light too.

On the off chance that the Driver Restraint System light was due to the seatbelt tensioner, I swapped both tensioners with the ones from the original seats. The light wasn't going to go out, but at least I had known good ones fitted.

Having tried to clear the codes with a neighbour's code reader, I then book the care into BMW to get them removed.

While all this was going on, the driver's seat with the blown airbag was still sitting around and the automotive upholster had reopened. The cost of getting the cover professionally repaired and refitted (including the new bag) was about 1/4rd that of a new cover from BMW (fitting extra). So I took that to be repaired and picked it up a week later. I genuinely cannot see the repair, although he did remark that matching the thread colour was a pain and he had to buy it in just for this seat. Honoured his original price though.

Now, fitting.

Having found out how easy it is to cause warning lights, a quick check:

Did you disconnect the battery first and did you swap the seat modules (the light grey boxes that the big yellow connectors plug into) between the original seats and the new ones? If you didn't, chances are various things won't work and you'll get airbag lights.

Someone who knows how to configure the various software options may be able to advise on how to get the airbag lights to go off, but I'm not one of them - hence taking it to BMW.

HTH
Appreciate 0