View Single Post
      02-16-2019, 01:16 AM   #33
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by switzerr View Post
My wife and I have downsized from our DD F150 to a GTI. For kicks, here are some initial observations of the GTI and my M2.

My big takeaway, aside from the obvious dynamic differences, is that the VW tech is better overall than my M2. I can get a host of information from the fantastic touch screen in the GTI: oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, G meter, water temperature, lap timer . . . not sure why BMW doesn't allow any of this in an M car. The VW also has Android Auto, which would be a lovely thing in my M2. I like the i-Drive interface better than the touch screen, though.

The interiors feel to be similar in quality and materials. The M2 seats are better, with more aggressive bolstering. But the GTI seats are more than adequate. The seat heaters are better in the BMW, but since we don't winter drive that car, it is a bit of a moot point.

At my age, headlights are a big deal. Both cars have LEDs, and both are terrific (light years better than the 2016 F150 halogens). The BMW lights seem to be a bit better at picking up things on the side of the road as I drive. The GTI has adaptive headlights, unlike my M2, and I like the illumination around the corner. The GTI also has LED foglights -- which will likely be useful at some point.

Both have excellent sound systems. I'm not enough of an audiophile to determine which is better (and since I primarily listen to the CBC it likely doesn't matter any way).

Both have distinct (enhanced) sounds. The BMW turbo is much more pronounced.

Both cars are six speeds. The shifting is better in the M2, with more of a mechanical actuation. Not unexpected, since I am sure there are cables involved in the VW because of the drivetrain layout.

We are pretty happy with the GTI as an F150 replacement. And neither of us thinks the GTI is an M2 replacement. But we are privileged to enjoy both for what they are.
I had the performance pack GTI 6 speed
It was a fantastic car ZERO complaints. It's was more comfortable than my current F80. The GTI I'd rate an 8.5 out of 10 for comfort. I rate the F80 6.9

I have the 18's on all seasons F80.

That said; the M3 is a constant adrenaline rush even just looking at it.

I still have my MK5 gti as a daily driver.

OP; the only thing the gti needs is a good set of tires; that's it!!!

I did the APR tune; nearly burnt the clutch went back to stock. Did the MSS suspension; great but went back to stock.

Did a set of Continental DWS 06 and it improved the over all car by 30% of an already fantastic car.

It was super reliable and low maintenance; enjoy the GTI!
Appreciate 0