MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I just got back from a 150mi trip on wet roads in 36 degree weather. The cup2s are fine after 15min of driving if you started with 50 degree ambient. It takes about 20min if starting in low 40s. This isn't from my seat of the pants test. I have the track connect sensors. The TPMS reported temps are worthless.

I'm certain the PS4S is a better tire for cold wet weather, but summer tires in cold weather, not freezing, is beginning to reach urban legend status.

If the roads aren't frozen, and your starting out with tires that aren't frozen, then don't worry about it. Just don't drive like jackass for the first 20min.

29min to get all tires into green zone. At 25min they were all about a degree low 77 degrees. This run was with almost no braking to get heat in the tires. Directly onto the highway. In town they heat up more quickly from braking. The TPMS read 60 degrees.
We're really lucky in Australia; coldest nights in most residential areas wouldn't go much below 40 deg (5°C) and not for long either.

If anything, when it's well above 100 deg, road surface can easily be 20 degrees hotter meaning we lose rubber fast when under prolonged heavy stress of a spirited drive.

I can't imagine getting excellent life expectancy from Cup2's under those conditions. Having said that, I still opted for Cup2's anyway. Only time will tell.