08-26-2018, 11:40 PM   #13
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOhio View Post
OP and others: when it comes to flying, always bring the soft foam earplugs. Definitely helps a LOT with noise, whether screaming babies, coughing people, jet engines or loud talkers (some of whom don't shut up the entire flight).

Thanks for the pics, including of the food.

As to Strasbourg, did you see any storks flying or nesting? It's a charming aspect of that wonderful city. And, if your drive took you past Colmar (about 45 miles south), did you see the smaller version of the Statue of Liberty?

Lastly, what was your top speed during the trip?
Yeah we had nice earplugs, sleep masks and everything. This guy's cough was just that loud and he was RIGHT next to us. Didn't really matter much as I can't sleep well sitting up and my wife couldn't sleep due to her leg.

We didn't see any storks in Strasbourg unfortunately, nor did we stop in Colmar. You're right though, it's a great city. We both loved it!

High speed was somewhere between 125-130 mph. Hit a nice stretch of autobahn between Strasbourg and Frankfurt. My wife was also asleep which helped...

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
Fantastic!! Makes me want to go back and do another - we just did our ED journey this past May, for 12 days. Congrats on a great journey, and thanks for posting all the photos. It lets us sort of relive the trip, as we hit some of the same places you did.

Question for you - what was your impression of driving through Innsbruck? On the day we were there, and maybe it's like this every day, we quickly figured out that pedestrian crosswalks are completely optional. When someone wants to cross the street, even a major street, they just step into the street and start crossing. And the younger people aren't looking, they're staring at their phones, as if it's just an understood thing that pedestrians have the right of way no matter where they are in the street or the traffic on the street. It was like Whack-a-Mole in reverse, just trying not to hit people just randomly stepping into the street!!
I don't remember anything like that happening to us. I actually thought it was fairly easy to drive through. Worst cities for me were Zurich and Dijon. Zurich was just extremely confusing. The traffic signals also shut down early weekend mornings, which added more stress to the situation. Dijon was a mess of narrow streets, one ways, pedestrians. Not to mention the GPS just couldn't find anything we were looking for by street name. Parking garages were also atrocious. Small, dank, filthy. I still can't believe I made it out without a curbed wheel.
Appreciate 0