View Single Post
      02-18-2020, 09:02 PM   #9
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Nobody goes to Notre Dame stadium to listen to the USC band play the Trojan fight song at half-time, I get that . . . but this thread asks to compare a competitor.

I have never driven an M2CS, obviously, and the same is true of the GTS 4.0. HOWEVER, I have plenty of seat time in the M2C and own a 718 CGTS.

Sorry to the prospective M2CS owners, but the M2CS is not going revolutionize the M2 chassis. In fact, it is the exact same chassis (and S55 engine). The same is true of the 718 GTS, except the NA F6 is being introduced in the 4.0 variant. So, my comments come with some merit.

When it comes to chassis, nothing in the BMW lineup can compete with 718 mid-engine (or 911 rear engine). The 718 is not about straight line, 0-60 speeds. It is all about owning the twisties and pulling Gs through them. For ME, the chassis is the key, and nobody does chassis better than Porsche.

My above comments are all that need to be said when it comes to performance and handling, BUT . . . the 718 is a pure sport car. I live in a rural area with access to absolute BFI. I spend 90% of my time above 5K RPMs and rarely get out of 2nd or 3rd gear. In other words, I wring the living piss out of my 718 and live in the heart (upper) power band. Not everyone has such luxury due to local roadway limitations and/or interest in driving constantly wrung out. Personally, I would not own a 718 if living within urban limits of stop-and-go and straight line driving.

Further, being a pure, two-seat sport car, the 718 offers limitation on practicality for many. Although small, the M2C and M2CS do offer back seats that are functional. I am not sure just 'how' much more practical either of the M2 offerings are compared to 718 when it comes to the fact that few are looking at any of the cars in mention from anything other than a sport car enthusiast perspective? Nonetheless, the M2 offerings do have practicality features not available in the 718. . . including functional cup holders!

So, only the individual can decide what best suits them and their needs. Daily driving versus track; urban driving vs rural access; etc, etc. Notwithstanding, I have the following perspective.

If you are decided upon the 718 chassis, well you have more than ample options, including the soon-to-be released GTS 4.0. Word of advice, if money is a consideration, I would strongly investigate the 981 variants, including the GT4. If you are decided upon the M2 model, well then I guess it is up to you whether the CS is worth the extra $30K+. Regardless, the 718 GTS vs M2C or M2 CS is never going to be an apples-to-apples comparison . . . so, it cannot be an 'all things being equal' consideration.

///AVM

Last edited by ///AVM; 03-02-2020 at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 11
Moflow2484.50
stein_325i25083.00
EXE462100.00
JCZ51482.50
AESZ4199.50
devo755.00
243Racing1447.50
TripleU170.00
specka71.00
Avaley732.00