bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbark View Post
According to this article and chariman of the board at BMW M GmbH, Friedrich Nitschke, the M2 will be powered by an all new engine codenamed S57 B30 and will produce 400hp. According to him, that's the "magic number". This contradicts what we've been hearing all along doesn't it? Which engine will it be?

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11410238...-engine-for-m2
That World Car Fans site (credibility?) is just paraphrasing an Autocar.co.uk article (original article). So basically, it's a game of telephone: paraphrasing something that was paraphrased.

Autocar is notoriously fast and loose with quotes and interpolation (inferring meaning from context). If you look at the original article, you'll notice that the "quote" (hint, it's not really a quote) from Nitschke and the S57 speculation are in two separate paragraphs. Read carefully (emphasis mine):

"As with the earlier limited-volume 1M Coupé, which it indirectly replaces in the BMW M line-up, the M2 Coupé will be powered by a turbocharged 3.0-litre in line six-cylinder direct injection petrol engine. It won’t, however, be the powerplant used by the larger and more expensive four-door M3 and its mechanical identical two-door sibling the M4, according to departing M division boss Friedrich Nitschke."

"Described as an all-new development, the S57 B30-designated unit is based around the German car maker’s upcoming B57 powerplant that is planned to make its debut in the sixth-generation 7-series early next year - rather than the older N55 engine that forms the basis of the unit that powers the M3 and M4, the so-called S55 B30."

The part is attributed directly to Nitschke, but there are no quotes, so we know it's not a direct quote. We know with a reasonable level of confidence that the M2 won't have the same engine as the F8x M3/4, so it makes sense that he would say something like this. Notice that the next paragraph gives no direct attribution, however.

So the World Car Fans website is inferring that this following paragraph is also directly attributed to Nitschke. Given that this is Autocar, I think that's a leap of faith. Autocar intentionally uses ambiguous attribution so that they can deny having made incorrect claims in the past. For example, if the M2 is released with the N55B30T0, they can claim that they never attributed this information directly to Nitschke, and that it was simply a rumor. All of this because of their ambiguous phrasing.

I'm not saying the M2 will or won't come with a S57, but I am saying you have to be very careful how you interpret Autocar's "quotes".
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 1