Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsignalslol View Post
I live in California where it can either get pretty hot or pretty cold so I'm wondering if 0w40 or 5w40 is the best oil to use basically all year round.

By "pretty cold" I mean around 45-50 degrees and by "pretty hot" I mean well into the 100s.

Thanks
It depends which 0W40.
I can't see on my phone which model subforum this is. I got tagged so I just opened it.
If you have B generation engine or N20/26, you really want to stick to approved LL01 or LL04 oils. The reason is that in 2018 BMW moved testing to N20 platform and it all approvals have specific timing chain tests for new generation engines.
So, if that is the case, I would go Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 or Motul X-Cess 5W40 GEN2.

If it is N5X engine, you have more options as long as oil has MB229.5 approval. 0W40 oils are hit or miss. Mobile 0W40? Excellent choice. Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W40? It is A OK. Why?
To get 0W oil you really need light base stock. To get 40 grade from that base stock, you need lot of viscosity improvers. Problem with that is shearing. You need less VI in 5W40 than 0W40 all things being equal. Good example is PPE 5W40 and 0W40. They have pretty much same base, but 5W40 has less VI, which mean it will be more shear resistant.
Mobil1 0W40 is different animal. Base stock is light, but it is highly sophisticated. It is mix of PAO, GTL, esters, AN and Group III. That means to achieve desired HTHS (which is what really matters, not grade per se) they utilize less VI.
In your case, you don't need 0W40. Actually., when it comes to cold starting, 5WXX will do in lower 48 states. I live 1 1/2hrs from coldest basin in lower 48, and often ski there and sometimes I have 5W40, like now (PPE) and sometimes 0W40. Unless you are starting vehicle below -20, you should not worry.
Ambient temperature is also irrelevant. Your oil temperature is maintained by cooling system. What could have impact is altitude as cooling system gets compromised with higher altitude (heat exchange is not as effective due to less air density). But, I tracked my BMW hitting 300f oil temperature with Mobil1 0W40, and car still drives like a champ.
What oil and weight do you recommend for the s55 engine in NYC weather with a full upgraded cooling system, from oil cooler with upgraded lines AN fittings to heat exchanger, and an air to water cooler upgrade if that helps?
Appreciate 0