11-02-2020, 03:03 PM   #34
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
No doubt both the Mustang and Camaro are great options, but how much of this LL time advantage is tires? Both wear quite a bit more tire (taller and wider), even when looking at it proportionate to weight, and they also ship with more aggressive tires in those bigger sizes.

I don’t have deltas from PSS to something like the Eagle F1 supercar or PSC2 that these cars ship with, but a tire change to something more equivalent could be enough to close most, if not all, of the ~5 second LL time gap on a longer track like VIR.

In terms of bang for the buck, starting at around $45k with their respective track packages and nothing else, the Camaro and Mustang are certainly hard to beat though, no question. Much closer to track ready out of the box than any M2 variant so far and very capable.

Anyway, back to M2 vs M2 comp, weight was one factor in choosing the OG for me, as were cost and timing. Another was the seats which, ironically, I changed out as the leather was too slick for track use. Probably would’ve done the same in either case though.

If shopping now, I prefer new cars, so I’d happily choose a Comp, but in June 2018, I had a new vs new choice. Would’ve just had to wait a couple months longer for a Comp.
Yeah, good points. I am waiting for someone to do a comparison of Cup2 vs Supercar 3. And Cup2R vs Supercar 3R.

I'm thinking the Cup2s come out on top, as Motor Trend made the comment "These aren't Cup2s" in one of their videos on the ZL1 (on Supercar 3) if I recall, but it's all speculation till there is an objective comparison.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 2
bentom2335.50
pal433.00