View Single Post
      10-27-2020, 09:59 PM   #461
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Aim's software is definitely a bit wonky - but after a bit of use you can get used to it. I have not used any of the others but can tell you what I like & do not like about Aim. Currently I am running the MXG dash with 84* smartycam front & 67* rear. Started with the Solo 2 DL

Easy hook up
Lots of options for expansion & customization (hardware + lots of data options)
Starts recording on it's own based on rpm
No batteries to worry about when solo/dash hard wired
Immediate access to data & video with telemetry overlay

The last one is what I like the most out of the setup. At the end of a session you can immediately review the data & video. Can make adjustments & be able to quickly compare against previous laps. The video w/overlay is as easy as downloading the file off the memory card from the camera. Then quickly have everything in front of you to pick apart your laps. With limited time between sessions it is very nice not having to mess with anything to quickly have all the data & video in front of you within a couple of minutes.

An example - last weekend we had some open track time at COTA. Ended up being cool & wet all morning so had some impromptu no grip practice with hard compound slicks that had not chance of getting up to temp. Towards the end we did have a bit of a dry line starting to form so started to up the pace a little from snail to sloth. Got loose going through 10 on one lap that perplexed me a bit while I was driving - thought I had run it like I had been up to that point with consistent steering angle & throttle until off the curb before increasing to full throttle. After the session checked out the video to see what happened - and clearly could see that I added throttle a bit too early while on the still wet curb causing the car to get loose. Easily able to see that I needed to clean that up moving forward. This is what I was able to pull up immediately when I got back to the garage -

That video is with the 84* camera. I like the width being able to see out the side windows a bit & a pretty good view of my hands. With the 67* you still can get pillar to pillar, all personal preference here. I want to rearrange the overlay a little bit more but that is easy to do. I also messed something up on the brake parameter so need to fix that as well to get a good reading on the video.

Dislike
Software...
Video quality
Can get pricey

I'm sure there are some other options that work very well too. I know Cosworth is a liked alternative but haven't used it much myself. I do think if you can stomach the software Aim is a good option. Guessing you probably do not want to go to a full dash but can tell you that I really like the MXG. The Solo worked great as well for a removable option. The only reason I could see us moving from Aim since we are already pretty deep into it would be moving to something like a factory race car that runs Cosworth or something like that.
Yeah, no full dash for me. What you're saying about AiM and being able to access data+video is great (if you're on Windows I'm guessing), but the inability to sync with a more common and better camera is a sad to me. I have also read that you can only overlay 1 video at a time so you cannot have comparative runs side by side—is this accurate?

I read an informative post from Peter Krause about why he prefers the RaceLogic setup to Aim and it made a lot of sense. It also frustrated me because I could find myself, like you, in deep with a particular setup making future change more costly figuratively and literally. The HD2 is far outside my cost-benefit ratio right now.

Right now, I'm leaning toward something like the RaceChrono setup that's kind of pieced together or scouting a deal for an AiM Solo2 unit that could potentially be resold without too significant a hit.
Appreciate 0