View Single Post
      10-12-2020, 06:43 AM   #24
iBrakeLate
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
Interested in what changes were suggested & how they go.

When I installed my Ohlins R&T I adjusted the shock length with the spring out so I could have max compression with the tyre not contacting wheel arch lining (at the time I had 285/35 PS4s), measuring from the bottom lip of 437M to top lip of guard was 545mm (car weight on Ohlins shock bump stop), full droop in this setting is 675mm. Looking at my notes I think the shock length was 510mm (where the instructions say 500), I'm just not 100% I recorded the shock length accurately

Just for interests sake the oem shock/bump stop allowed 15mm less compression travel, I was after more as on our bad country roads it wasn't uncommon to bottom out badly and the rebound was very unsettling.

I believe pre-load just determines ride height and I varied from the instructions as I didn't want the full 10mm drop from oem (& my rear springs at 160Nm), unfortunately I didn't write down my pre-load but I'm lowered around 6mm.
We set the preload which determined the ride height of the rear. It lowered the car definitely more than the 10mm which their instruction says. Because when you put preload you are actually changing the spring rate as well, making it higher.

Then set the car down, drove around the block to get the suspension to settle and put the car on the 4 post lift.

The rear shock that is provided by Ohlins has 99mm travel. They wanted to see 55% compression travel, 45% droop travel. This is fairly easy to set if you have a 4 post lift.

With the car on the 4 post lift, I measured the rod length which is showing while the car is sitting still, which gives you the compression travel. remember you need to measure including the bump stop.

If you need to make adjustments to the shock height, every turn is 1.5mm in length.

Once I made the adjustments, again drove around the block to let the suspension settle, came back put the car on the 4 post lift and measured again. I am currently at %54 compression to 46% droop, which is close enough.
Appreciate 1
David.m437.00