09-06-2020, 04:43 PM   #6
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyx11 View Post
I went on a mountain run yesterday to Blood Mountain here in GA and we drive pretty hard up there. On corner apex and exit, I was experiencing some wheel hop. My tires were NOT breaking loose and in fact, weren't even squealing, but they felt like they were hopping instead of breaking loose.

I just bought some 18" Bimmerworld lightweight wheels w/ Yokohama Advan A052 tires for mountain runs/Track days. The specs on the tires are 265/35 front and 295/30 in rear, which makes the rear tires .3" smaller in diameter than the front tires. I just had these mounted and balanced on Friday, the day before our run yesterday on Saturday. So, they were basically brand new for reference.

I've read somewhere that having smaller rear than front could cause some traction control issues, but I was hoping maybe the ECU would compensate for it.

I have KW V3 and I'm also wondering if it may be a dampening issue with it being set too hard at 3 rebound & 4 compression all around. In combination with the new stickier tires, maybe it's causing the car to hop instead of breaking loose.

Any suggestions would help. I'm hoping it's as simple as adjusting the dampening too a softer setting on my V3s, but I have a feeling it might be traction control causing the issues. Thanks in advance for your help. Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but just trying to be detailed for better understanding of situation.
I don't know much about KW V3, but I assume they are adjustable? If so, I would dial in the softest or as close as possible to it. I tend to think a lot of people equate firmness with good handling which is not necessarily true. My guess is setup might be too firm and when car is unsettled with uneven road and some traction challenge, it bounces instead of maintaining traction. I had a similar issue when mine was to heavily sprung. Went softer and car handles amazing.

Edit: I also am on 255/35 19 front and 285/30 20 rear MPSS and Ohlins with TC Kline Springs. 400# front and 700# rear
Appreciate 0