View Single Post
      08-21-2020, 04:53 AM   #18
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
You’re not supposed to blow air straight onto the disc. It leads to large temp differences and premature cracking and pad wear. This is the main reason I haven’t done any of the backing solutions for the M2, that and I’ve seen carbon backing plates catch on fire.

Also getting rear APs maybe would have negated me needing the GT3 deflectors, but again, the air flow on the OG M2 is terrible, so it cant hurt. They also don’t overcool the disc surface in winter time, which many of the hose/backing plate kits do making it an issue in cold weather daily driving.
So do the "good" backing plates. Never heard of them catching fire but now that you mention it I think this happened to the Schirmer M2C at my last trackday (had a little off and as I passed under the red flag saw flames in the wheel well/barel).

I also think the differential cooling is not as big an issue as ppl seem to think it is. A GT2 RS comes with rear under arm funnels that blow straight onto the disk face, I think Porsche know what they are doing.

Is it more efficient to blow in the center? probably, but without empirical data we are just comparing educated guesses. There are also so many variables to account for that annecdotal evidence should be taken with a large pinch of salt.

Overcooling is such a minor issue in my opinion. Removing the rear scoops is as easy as cutting 3 zipties and takes 5min. The front intake scoops can be covered with duct tape in minutes and then they dont flow or cool the brakes.

I did this at my last trackday in order to be able to bed in my new pads.

EDIT: seem Porsche has been doing this for quite a while http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ing-ducts.html

Last edited by Megator; 08-21-2020 at 05:07 AM..
Appreciate 0