View Single Post
      05-22-2020, 05:42 PM   #31
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

I remember being utterly terrified flying into LPLA (Lajes)-- there was a HUGE cliff off the side of the approach end that played merry hell with crosswinds. And the winds could be stunningly strong-- you'd get the crosswind figured out, then fly below the side of the cliff, and everything would go wonky.

I remember standing outside my jet (a C-5) and the winds were strong enough for you to let yourself fall back (into the wind)-- you would literally not fall down-- and if you put your arms out at your sides, the wind would lift you back up on your feet.

We watched a -141 (the StarLizard) come in on final-- he bounced HARD once..... twice..... and the third time, you saw the jet start to bank over. Someone pulled the spoilers at that point (which you'd have to override to do in the air) and the jet **POUNDED** onto the runway before coming to a complete stop.

The jet literally didn't move for about five minutes, before they slowly taxied clear of the Active.

That's about the closest I think I've ever seen anyone almost die in a jet-- they were about a half second from a fireball before they pulled the spoilers.

Everyone on my crew that was watching had the same thought-- "Those guys are dead"-- followed by "Those guys are sucking seat cushions out of their arse-- that's why they aren't taxiing."

R.
Appreciate 1