11-27-2019, 11:46 AM   #49
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Fab View Post
Back end is skittish (as mentioned in a post above). It's just slightly stiff with spring rates and it desperately needs more rebound damping. It rebounds quickly enough that it can get the rear loose and make it a handful - or fun, depending on how you look at it. A little rear drift is fun but not as quick.

A bit more damping control on both ends and a slightly softer rear spring will definitely get rid of the jitters over rough stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
Ha! Zoomed in as close as I could on a bigger screen and I think you’re right. The light/shadow got me. Oops.

The back end definitely feels like it skips over bumps due to what feels like a spring rate/damper mismatch, while the front just sucks it all up, so I guess I saw what I wanted to see.
Are you guys sure it's not because of too much rebound? When the rebound is too high it'll pull you into the bump stop and keep you there, and then it's the bump stop that's bouncing you up. BMW dampers typically have a good amount of rebound bias.

As an example, at ACNA Sonoma at the beginning of the month a bunch of drivers were talking about how rough the curbing was at T2, and T8. My friend and I found that amusing because our vehicles (435i on Ohlins R&T and 328d on FCM reworked Bilsteins) handled all the curbing very smoothly. On the 435i I turned down his dampening from the Ohlins recommended "track" setting the weekend before to optimize things. This made the car less harsh and upset over bumps like track curbing and let him attack corners with more speed. He said the car felt smoother and more in control. On my own setup my dampers don't have any rebound bias. My instructor even mentioned how comfortable and smooth my ride was over all the curbing.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0