Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude357 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
That was kinda the point of the photos I took.
OK, I see what is going on. When I saw your post, I went out and measured my RC1's and the the tread width is indeed 10.5 and the section width is ~ 11.3. So I wasn't sure why your photo showed them to be more like 10. I then took my own photo and realized that because of how close I held the camera to the tire, the tape measure actually is off by about 1/2".

My apologies.
No worries.

They are mounted on the same wheels as I have eight 18x 10 wheels.

In my garage with 4 wheels and tires of each brand stacked up next to each other that .5" x 4 = 2 inches taller for one stack. That was what set me off on finding out if it wasn't an optical illusion.

But wait there is more. It's hard to see in 2-D photos but since you have the tires , look at the sidewall of the Maxxis. It's sort of rounded and the tread contact patch doesn't really make it to the edge.

In comparison , the Bridgestone tire shoulder is squared off making it so that tread goes ALL the way to the edge of the tire. This is part of why I took the photos of them laying down next to each other.

The width of tread that actually makes contact with the ground on the Maxxis is actually less due to the shape of the tire... indeed making the section width much greater than the tread.

At any rate .. whether it's .5" wider or .75" wider contact patch per corner ... the clear thing is that you are getting a LOT more rubber to the ground with the Bridgestone R1 than the Maxxis. That's hella important when trying to avoid wheelspin at the rear and also with trying to avoid having the tire roll over on the front when cornering.

The Maxxis have been hard for me to kill but when I do I will go to Bridgestone RE on one set for Autocross and driving to track and the BFG R1 as my track set.
Appreciate 0