Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude357 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Any questions ??:bs:
Hmm, I'm baffled. Maybe it's the angle of the camera but Maxxis lists the section width on those tires at 11.3 inches.
That was kinda the point of the photos I took.

Tires are like tennis shoes and racing helmets . A Nike size 10 may fit differently than a Reebok 10 than a Skechers 10. It's imperative that you try them on for size.

One can make inferences from tire to tire when staying within the brand, because presumably they are all measured the same. However it's clear that tire measurements from say, hankook , aren't done the same as Goodyear or Bridgestone etc.

The shape of the sidewall of the tire also makes a difference.

I've actually fit a 285/35. Hankook RS3 on my 1M but the shape of the tire sidewall caused rubbing on the inside strut , not the width of the tread.

Treadwear ratings ... despite the name the Uniform Tire Quality Grading, ( commonly abbreviated as UTQG) are another boondoggle.

Many manufacturers have tweaked these ratings to either compete with other tires in a certain class or in some situations they have simply created a cheater tire for competition.. once again.. comparisons within a brand may be possible.. but assuming that a tire rated at 400 will last much longer than a different manufacturers 300 treadwear rating may lead to surprise.

Tire Rack even has a web page dedicated to this.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=48&

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 03-09-2018 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0