View Single Post
      09-26-2019, 12:00 PM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by magha View Post
Hi folks wanted to get a sense of the real benefits behind the following mods (have put my high level thoughts on what they do based on research):

Turbo Inlet Pipe - allows for better air flow into turbo and removes restriction regarding the size
Turbo to Intercooler / Boost Pipe - replaces plastic pipe similar to the Charge Pipe and does allow for more efficient turbo operation vs higher boost
DV+ - replaces plastic components in the current system and allows for higher levels of boost to be held and helps with high RPM oscillations as well as holding boost better in between shifts for the MT cars

thinking of adding these mods more from an efficiency perspective than anything so wanted to poll the collective wisdom in the forum to get your thoughts.

already have a kittless DP, FMIC & CP installed along with the Stg2 BM3 tune and not really looking at upgarding turbo (atleast not yet)

on a side note damn modding is addictive!! must stop soon!

thx in advance fellow M2nuts
Turbo inlet pipe - Correct. You can see pictures of FTP's inlet pipe, Pure's inlet pipe, and the OEM pipe in this thread. No one is sure if FTP's pipe is the same diameter as Pure's, no one has measurements to compare. But comparing to OEM, both pure and ftp remove this choke point. Pure's pipe is also only secured by press fit into the turbo. FTP and OEM are bolted to the turbo or engine or something, I dunno where. FTP's is quite a bit cheaper than Pure's too.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1499446

Charge and Boost Pipes - Mainly replaced because OEM is plastic and might crack. I'm not sure there is any efficiency gains with upgrading them. Not aware of the aftermarket pipes being larger diameter than OEM. If so, I'd imagine the turbo system would need to work harder to maintain boost levels, as a larger area would lower PSI. But, upgrading to a larger intercooler would do the same, so maybe that doesn't matter as much as I'm thinking. Also, aftermarket pipes come with meth bungs built in, so it's easier to upgrade to a WMI system. I always see people say OEM boost pipe is okay, not sure why, but I upgraded it as it was part of FTP's kit.

DV+ - is a progressive diverter valve, OEM is binary. OEM evacuates all boost at once, it's either open or closed, which can cause lag as boost needs to build up again from scratch. DV+ let's only enough boost to escape to maintain target psi.

After doing more research in the past week, I want to upgrade my inlet pipe and dv, but it seems they are too difficult to swap without doing a turbo upgrade at the same time. Turbo upgrade means fuel pump and WMI and a custom tune. Which makes things even more of a task to get done. Between research, cost, and coordination of it all.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 09-26-2019 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
ddk632583.00