View Single Post
      03-29-2019, 09:50 AM   #690
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (gold/cream)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
Why y'all use F22, E90, etc as descriptors? Causes this neophyte to BMW all sorts of confusion.

To the question; at 57 years old I have been driving for 42 years, and this is my first BMW, purchased at the end of January. So far it is superior to everything I have ever owned. Until I am many years in I won't call myself hooked, but so far so good.
Mason,

I'm as new to all this as you are and have been driving as long. I suspect it's because BMW -- if it's anything like Mercedes -- puts different engines in the same body and badges them differently. For example, among MBs there have been a slew of very different cars called "300SEL" since 1970 or so. To distinguish them, enthusiasts specify the chassis number, W108, W126, etc. Apparently BMW assigns the code based on body type (sedan is F30, wagon is F31, etc.) Either one could be a 328i, so the enthusiasts tell them apart with the code.

You can look up the meanings and the pictures of each BMW platform, E46 or E90 or F30, with a DuckDuckGo or Ixquick search. (Don't use G**gle. They know too much about us now. . . .)
Appreciate 0