01-02-2019, 09:19 PM   #37
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
So is there a point in upgrading the turbo without upgrading fuel system stuff along with it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
You'll get more bottom end grunt, and mid range power but the upper end of the spectrum will fall off. Imo yes because you'll have a more efficient system dropping it's, and allowing more power on the same octane fuel. The issue is you won't be able to max it out or you may not be able to get much gains.
Short answer: Probably not.

Much like F87source said, if you don't plan on upgrading the fuel system in any way, you really won't see much benefit out of an upgraded turbo. I'd venture to even say save your money if you don't plan on doing both the turbo and fuel system upgrade. I only disagree with one thing said above, what you'll end up actually doing is getting LESS bottom end power (not more), and more mid-range, with slightly more top-end. Ultimately, all you'll be doing is getting a much flatter torque curve with boost that comes on slightly later on in the RPM band.

Obviously that answer isn't concrete because it all depends on which turbo you go with, but if you go with any of the popular choices, then yes, you will end up with LESS low end power because the turbo will take longer to spool / produce boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Don't forget the $2500 fuel pump upgrade to take advantage of any of these.
Yup, short and sweet it's either the HPFP upgrade offered by TTFS/XDI, or good old methanol injection which is the route I took

If anyone is seriously thinking of upgrading their turbo, I would highly recommend them read either my own build thread or SeanWRT's thread on his turbo upgrade. Both of those threads are written with in great detail, and more importantly they encompass two different approaches to unlocking more power from the N55 M2.

Last edited by Endeav; 01-02-2019 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 0