V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Hi M2018,
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2018 View Post
Apologies for my dumb question. Does the switch turn the backup camera on when the car is moving forward?
You can configure it to do this: have a look at my post #148 in this thread (its a few above your question). I've configured it so that I can turn it on while moving forward (I've used Bimmercode to do this, and the screen images show how I've set this).

Note that I have installed the switch in this thread, even though I have the LCI firmware that mostly removes the need for the switch I wanted to be able to turn on the camera when pulling into a space to confirm that my rear is within a marked space ... and as I like the rear sensor/camera staying on sometimes, I want to be able to control when it turns off (the LCI firmware turns off the sensor as soon as you take it out of reverse).

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachbluem2 View Post
No it doesn't when moving forward. It will turn the camera/sensors on if you are in neutral at a light (I have the MT so no promises on DCT). I use it sometimes if someone is insanely close to me at a red light. Happens more often then you think
Hi longbeachbluem2,
Not to pick at nits, but as I've answered M2018, you can configure the car via Bimmercode and the console switch to be able to turn on the rear camera while moving forward I have the DCT, so I'm engaging the rear camera (via the switch) while in Drive and moving slowly - as you can see from my configuration (post #148) the switch won't work at speeds above 15 Km/h.

If memory serves me correctly, you can nominate the speed/distance combination at which the camera turns off (I think you could even drive it at 100 Km/h without it turning off). Again, easy enough to do with Bimmercode

One minor side-effect of how my configuration plays out is that when stopped on a hill (at say traffic lights), if when I go to pull away and the car rolls slightly backwards (because I'm slow to hit the accelerator after releasing the brake), the camera comes on Its kind of fun ... and reminds you of when you've allowed the car to roll backwards ... however minor the roll is!

Cheers,
Appreciate 1