View Single Post
      03-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

My thoughts on every single intake available.

So these are my thoughts compiled from research I've done into each intake over the last few months. I haven't used any of these intakes, but I don't think that's a reason to why I shouldn't write about them and give my thoughts. I'm also including replacement filter costs, because even though the filters are washable, well more info is never a bad thing. The filter prices come from the MFG of the intake. I didn't feel like figuring out the filter diameter to see what other filters might work with them.

Eventuri
- $1350
- Carbon Fiber
- Open Airbox
- No Heat Shield, but maybe the carbon surround shields some heat.
- Replacement filter - $80

Thoughts - Undesirable, whistling noise after whooshing sound completes. Sounds like someone is blowing across the top of a bottle. I can hear the sound in ALL youtube videos I've seen showcasing the sound of the Eventuri. Check out 3:22 in this video to hear the sound

BMS
- $230
- Plastic tube, which may reflect more heat than metal
- Open Airbox
- No Heat Shield
- Replacement filter - $60

Thoughts - Many many complaints of it throwing a CEL. The posts I saw about this are from 2016/2017, so maybe the issue is resolved now. However, if it was due to bad design/mfg problem, I have not seen anything indicating the intake was updated to correct the problem. CEL can be "fixed", if I understand correctly, by bypassing the MAF with a JB4. From videos I've seen, this intake seems to be the loudest of the bunch.

Injen
- $300
- Metal tube available in wrinkle black or polished
- Open Airbox
- Has Heat Shield
- Replacement filter - $70

Thoughts - Haven't found really any reviews on it. Looks good to me. Has a heat shield and is open airbox for loud sounds. The Injen logo on the tube stands out and therefore is ugly IMO. I don't think it's riveted on, so maybe can peel it off. If not, electrical tape or paint over it. Also, from pictures, it looks like a factory plastic wire cover needs to be permanently removed to install this intake.

aFe
- $650
- Plastic
- Closed Airbox
- Replacement filter - $71

Thoughts - Looks completely ridiculous. Close airbox design, maybe good for cold air intake. Maybe not so good for wooshy turbo sounds.

Gruppe M
- $2500
- Carbon fiber
- Closed Airbox
- Replacement filter - $150-245. Uses a K&N filter, but unsure of the K&N part number. Gruppe M lists it as a RF-3301A filter

Thoughts - $2500 is really fricken expensive. Also it seems to have the same bottle blowing sound the Eventuri has.

Dinan
- $635
- Carbon Tube, Plastic Airbox
- Closed Airbox
- Replacement filter - $50

Thoughts - Closed airbox design. Probably less loud than the open ones like BMS and Injen. The big downside with this intake is that you need to cut up your (suspension?) brace to install this intake.

CTS
- $265
- Metal Tube
- Open Airbox
- Has Heat Shield
- Replacement Filter - $50

Thoughts - The silver metal part behind the filter looks gawdy. I don't know why it's needed and not a one piece tube like the Injen. Also, the logo on the pipe stands out. Both can probably be fixed with paint or a wrap. Lastly, there is a stock plastic wire cover that needs to be discarded in order for this intake to fit, same as the Injen.

Arma
- $1300 or $1700
- Carbon Fiber
- Closed Airbox
- Replacement Filter - ?? Couldn't find any for sale.

Thoughts - The more expensive one uses a "stainless steel valvtronic filter" which they claim "combats the torque loss experienced at low RPM by many aftermarket intakes" Claims are claims, so who the hell knows. Both use a closed airbox design and are made from carbon fiber. Haven't found examples of how this sounds, but I'm assuming carbon fiber is what causes the undesirable bottle blowing sounds in the Eventuri and Gruppe M intakes, so maybe this one has the same sound.

Which would I pick?
Out of all the intakes available, there isn't a "perfect one" that ticks all the boxes for me.

I like the BMS because it looks good enough and is, as far as I can tell, the loudest. The downside is the seemingly likelihood of getting a CEL. It's cheap enough to give it a go and see if I get a CEL. Pretty sure I can return it if there is an issue. And I'll likely be tuning my car in the future, so that could get rid of the CEL, if it did pop up. The problem is that I won't be tuning my car for a while down the road after getting the intake. I think most people are like that. And needing to tune a car just to use a intake ain't cool.

Injen would be my next choice. It looks good and I think would be loud enough. But needing to discard a plastic wire cover bothers me. It's like the intake looks good, but installing it brings out a bunch of unsightly wires. I power wash my engine bays too, so the wires would be an additional thing I'd need to cover before doing that.

Eventuri would be my third choice, but only if the bottle blowing sound is fixed. It's loud and looks good. But realistically, no one is gonna see my engine bay often enough to matter. So I feel like I'm throwing away $1000 if the BMS or Injen are functionally the same.

Hope this post was helpful. Feel free to correct me if I got any info wrong.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 12-05-2021 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 19
Mosely593.50
RedCarrot230.50
emdeuce196.50
NO_USER_537.50
geogerf115.50
specka71.00
randyt224.50
seanyx11234.00
Thevesh30.50
Spare°257.50
dtmurf481.50