View Single Post
      01-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit1 View Post
Looking for some insight from fellow owners on this one.

My M2 6sp has about 30k miles on it today. For the last 15k or so I've been battling what I think is a Transmission Shutter/Chatter. It's felt primarily in 1st gear, but when acting up is also noticeable in engaging second.

The sensation:
When engaging the 1st gear from a standstill, I'll get the clutch out just beyond the grab point and I feel a slight slip or Shutter just before the gear fully engages. The Shutter is felt mostly in my seat and left foot and results in a disrupted takeoff. At its worse, it will feel like a smooth engagement and then the car will "fall" into gear. This is also felt entering 2nd at times.

When:
The transmissions feels rock solid and smooth for the first 5 miles or so. If in stop and go traffic it will act up more quickly.
If driving aggressively it's not noticeable.
The worst occurrences have been after a bout of spirited driving, so I do believe it's heat related. At that point the Shutter was an audible vibration and clunk into gear.

Evaluation:
I've been complaining about this for some time, leaving my car with my service advisor and master tech over the weekend. They tell me it's all normal.

Background:
I'm no novice to manual transmissions. Mid-30s and I've only ever owned manual trans, primarily BMWs.

Anyone else feel this sensation?
I feel it as well. Post warmup after I've driven hard. Feels like a lightweight flywheel and aggressive clutch engaging. I have no reason to think it's not normal but I certainly feel it!

I'm about to change out my transmission and diff fluid. Curious if it reduces flywheel chatter. I remember a few single mass N54 cars running a mixture that helped chatter, but I have no idea if it will affect engagement. It was redline mixed with a small amount of driveline shock treatment or an ATF mix. I'll dig it up again.
Appreciate 0