Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Speaking of stars.... who here knows how to photograph stars? Is it possible to get an image of the stars and have them look sharp?
Great series. The GC is hard to shoot unless there are some clouds or something to add interest, and you got that. I once lucked out and was there for a snow and it became very photogenic. Your slot-canyon shots are awesome.

For stars, use the largest aperture lens that you have at a fairly wide angle. The general rule is to keep the exposure under 25-sec. by upping ISO as needed. The ratio of the aperture to the focal length can be used with a formula for an even more precise time, but the larger the aperture relative to the focal length, the better. Still, 25-sec. usually does the trick. Try wide-open, at ISO 1600 for 25-sec. as a starting point. My biggest problem is getting focused. You can't just choose infinity. I try to find a really bright start and use Live View manual focus at 10x view. Lock the mirror up and use remote release or self-timer on a very sturdy tripod. If it's windy, you might as well come back another night, unless you can get behind a big rock to block the wind.

Dave